The Youth Leadership Institute (YLI) has been an innovative leader in the field of youth development for over 20 years, working to build communities that invest in youth. At YLI, we believe cultivating engaged and dynamic young people today will lead to a more equitable and sustainable society tomorrow.
Through our decades of youth leadership development, we consistently see young people’s deep motivation to challenge and improve the society in which they live. YLI fosters this passion, providing ways for youth to channel it into effective community change.
YLI’s youth-led engagement strategies include:
- Adopting healthier community policy through civic engagement
- Addressing and changing negative social norms
- Abating predatory media messaging
- Establishing better access to healthy choices
YLI is a nationally recognized leader in engaging youth in several key areas, including:
- Access to healthy food
- Educational Equity
- Civic engagement
- Prevention of alcohol, tobacco and other drug use
- Youth Philanthropy
Who We Serve
YLI’s model develops non-traditional youth leaders. In fact, 90% of youth served by YLI are people of color, and 71% are from low-income families.